This conversation reminded me of the first mile I ran in 5th grade at Highland Park Elementary, not too far from the Lamar MS track this morning. I was the last one to finish, around 20 minutes. I couldn't climb the rope in class either. I was embarrassed, but not enough to change my habits. I really enjoyed my Legos and Star Wars figures.
The day I was convinced to change my habits was in 7th grade, on a Boy Scout trip. Packed into the back seat of someone's minivan, the little kid next to me poked my leg and asked "why does your leg jiggle like that?" I can still feel my heart rate rise thinking about that.
The next year, I ran my first 10K over spring break, the Schlotsky's Bun Run. It hurt like hell. I recovered and ran a 5:15 mile a few weeks later, unsuccessfully trying to catch the female captain of our track team. I've since been an All American and All Army rugger. Ran my first half marathon in Baghdad after a full night of missions. And am now a Crossfit coach.
From this simple challenge of running one mile, I've come a long way. I am looking forward to challenging Terri and the rest of her class to achieve success together over the next six weeks!

A teacher's support and encouragement can mean the world to a kid or to anyone starting out on something new.
ReplyDeleteYou are proving to be the best kind of teacher.