27 February 2012

Youth In Motion

This weekend, I led a small group out to Inks Lake State Park for some hiking, camping, and exploration. One of the group was my cousin, Jenna, a typical 11 year old. She had never been camping before. She toughed out a four mile hike upon arrival and another 2 mile hike the next morning. The most impressive thing was that she chose to sleep under the stars instead of a tent. I was very proud of her for getting out and moving and not complaining.
At Crossfit Central, there is a program called Youth in Motion, designed to take crossfit style workouts to different middle schools in the Austin area. This is a very laudable effort because from what I've heard, the physical fitness programs at schools are extremely lacking and designed for the lowest common denominator, instead of the highest.
I would also posit that children need to get outside and explore beyond the city limits to achieve a truly healthy balance and lifestyle. If you need help getting ideas to get your kids outside, feel free to ask here, or just email me directly.
One of my goals for the year was to get into nature for at least an hour a week, which is one of the most rejuvinating hours of my week.
Please post your favorite places to get out into nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment