07 February 2012

Intensity

One of the main tenants of CrossFit is intensity. This has been a frequent topic of conversation throughout Relentless Bootcamps and all of Crossfit Central. I've been thinking about what intensity looks like. For me, it's not a lot of screaming, but a focus of mind and body, quiet and controlled, but burning like a fire that is ready to cook a steak. A huge flaming fire consumes and distracts from the job, and the actual flames provide less heat. A coal, that has calmed from the flames, is much hotter and capable of doing the desired work. This is what I think of when I think of intensity. We all endeavor to bring intensity to the classes we coach and our personal workouts. This is embodied through warm breath and an actual fire behind the eyes. The showy and loud screaming does not necessarily equate to intensity, the internal fire, heat, and focus does. So, when you see me staring intently, nostrils flared, that is me at my most intense.

No comments:

Post a Comment