I've been cleared to start returning myself to the fitness level that I desire. I have decided that due to my competitive nature, I won't be going to any group fitness classes, but shall rather workout at home, so if I'm struggling, I will feel comfortable listening to my body and stopping. I've decided to use the TRX bands that I got several years ago to incorporate into my then fledgling idea for travel fitness. The package comes with the bands, a door attachment and a strap attachment, a workout log and instruction guide, and an instructional DVD. I never followed the workouts before because I was addicted to Crossfit.
Now that I've done day one, I can see that my biggest weakness is my right leg, the one that felt like it was on fire for a month. The first two exercises were lunges with one foot in the band and single leg squats, using the band to assist with balance. I was relieved when I could do this with my left leg and lulled into a false sense of security, so that I was not prepared for the weakness in my right leg. I cut the transition time from 60 seconds to 30 seconds, which was my only adjustment to the program and I wasn't able to beat the timer every time.
The program consists of two workouts with the TRX bands and two run style workouts for each pair of weeks for three months, adding repetitions and exercises each week. Each workout is done twice a week, staggering the TRX and running workouts and including days for extra stretching and active release therapy.
The first day did not include a run workout, but was a stretch day. I used my lacrosse ball and foam roller for some ART. This, too, was brutally painful on my right leg. I'm looking forward to testing out this program and getting myself back in shape, without reinjuring myself due to my own stupidity and competitiveness.
The most interesting part of this process has been to gain a better understanding of what it feels like to not be in shape. The last time I took this long out of the gym was at Ranger School. I may not have been able to lift a lot, but I could carry a great amount of weight a really long way. That is not the case this time.
No comments:
Post a Comment