On the hike up, we discussed the many Fit Expedition opportunities that Aspen has to offer with nearly year round mountain sporting opportunities, including skiing, hiking, and mountain biking, as well as the many sports competitions, like the Aspen MotherLode Volleyball Classic and the Aspen Ruggerfest.
With the great views from the first stopping point, the entire town of Aspen was visible. I enjoyed seeing the rugby pitch and wished I would be around for the Ruggerfest. I also couldn't resist taking a photo of my Fit Expeditions wristband. I would love if anyone who has one took a picture with it and posted here or to the Fit Expeditions Facebook page.
The remainder of the hike up the mountain became more of a walk the wrong way on the ski trails, seeing the backside of black diamond and blue square signs. There were several other hikers converging from different feeder trails. There were great views of the surrounding mountains and a surprise flock of paragliders!
At the top of the mountain there were many surprising activities. The first found was a childrens' obstacle course, which was awesome. I'm going to have to build one in my backyard eventually!
There were hula hoops, which are a surprisingly good workout.
The Aspen Center for Environmental Studies even had guides at the top and today they had a snake! Apparently, Monday is reptile day. Their guides are fantastic and their knowledge really adds a lot of interest to being around the mountains. This was actually the second time we'd seen their guides. The first time was a guided hike at the base of the Maroon Bells!
During the summer, the gondola ride back down the mountain is free for those who hiked up. Labor Day weekend is the end of full week operations; after that, it's weekends only! I'm glad we didn't do this hike tomorrow!







You guys are awesome! Thanks for the recap and an overview of such an amazing hike. Looking forward to my trip up there when my son moves back down from Montana :)
ReplyDelete