03 August 2012

Bruce's new challenges

Yesterday I got moving again and went to train Bruce. He has made such amazing gains since I last saw him a month ago! As I arrived, he came up and proudly told me he had climbed his rope without using his feet, which is extremely challenging. I knew he'd be ready for a new challenge this afternoon, climbing the rope with his ruck on. We reviewed his missions for this afternoon and got right into them.
The first mission combined climbing the rope with his ruck and a series of exercises with his recently built slosh bar. A slosh bar is an 8-9 foot PVC pipe 3-4 inches in diameter 3/4 filled with water. Bruce's weighs about 40 lbs, but the weight shifts and balancing that is a challenge.
Bruce kept his ruck on while he balanced the slosh bar during overhead presses.

 Rowing the slosh bar like a kayaker really gets that weight shifting! 
The next mission combined a 100lb Atlas Stone and running, mixing heavy and fast. 
Keeping the back strong and in good position has always been important, but is now very highlighted for me. 

 Bruce lifted the stone to his shoulder six times and on the sixth lift, ran a 200m lap with it!


 Brock certainly admires his dad, but only weighs half of what the stone weighs!
Bruce's final mission combined his heavy log with lunges, for an active recovery time.


A look of exhaustion with a slight smile says, "This sucked, but I loved the way this sucked!"


No comments:

Post a Comment