Trying new sports in always encouraged in the Crossfit community. Today I finally tried stand up paddleboarding, SUP. Guiding the paddleboard in a straight line proved difficult at first and I was a bit frustrated with the winding side to side I was causing. My friends said to hold the paddle more upright, which straightened my path significantly, but not completely. I tried different foot positions on the board and putting some lean in to it. Eventually I got comfortable enough that I was making decent speed and staying relatively straight. I tried testing my limits and the performance of the board. I applied some techniques I remembered from canoeing, kayaking, and surfing to try to make sharper turns. This resulting in a much appreciated swim. Overall, I thought Stand Up Paddling was a fun and relaxing activity. I don't think I'd do it in the middle of the summer in the heat, but in the spring or early morning, it's enjoyable.
One other activity that would combine well with this is bird watching. Even in the later morning, there were many different species of birds that were great to observe from the middle of the river and would be much more difficult to see from the shoreline.
For any of the women interested in trying this out, the Crossfit Central Women are hosting a Betty's on Boards next weekend. http://crossfitcentralwomen.blogspot.com/2012/03/bettys-on-boards.html
No comments:
Post a Comment