Improving lives through fitness, obstacle races, and world exploration.
09 September 2012
TRX week 1&2
I have completed the first two weeks of the TRX routine. I am quite pleased with the workouts because they aren't too challenging on my back, but there are other areas where I've been quite challenged. Each of the two workouts include exercises for a full body workout, one a little more concentrated on lower body and the other more concentrated on upper body.
The most challenging exercises from workout 1 have been the Suspended Lunge and the Single Leg Squat. My right leg is much weaker than the left because of the damage and non use prior to my back surgery. I have felt like each has improved with regards to the balance and mechanics of each exercise. Maybe a little of the strength is coming back, but that may be more due to hiking through the mountains here in Colorado.
The most challenging exercises from workout 2 have been the series of shoulder raises, a Y raise, a T fly, and Low Fly. I was skeptical on the value of these exercises because of my indoctrination through Crossfit and functional movements, but I've found these to be a nice supplement and change to work on the shoulder muscles in different ways.
The best overall attribute of the TRX bands is the instability of the single attachment point, which forces the stabalizer muscles to work harder during the workouts, and become more developed.
Looking ahead to the next two weeks of workouts, the reps increase on all the exercises and the sets increase for the core exercises. I really miss the Crossfit workouts, but I'm glad I've got this plan and my TRX bands to keep me from pushing myself too far too fast. I think the progression of the TRX will have me back in shape and ready to get stronger than before.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment