28 March 2012

Birthday Bootcamp

This morning I indulged myself in participating in one of our Bootcamp classes for my birthday. I don't know too many other people who think getting up at 0500 to workout is a birthday treat, but if you know me, you'll know I enjoyed it.
I started off riding my bicycle down Lamar with a 1.5 Pood Kettlebell in my backpack. There is a reason nobody does this, it sucked. But, at least on the way down the hill, I loved the way it sucked, reminding me of selection and many nights rucking in the dark with the Army. Plus, I just enjoy doing things that nobody else does.
Arriving at Jack and Adam's there weren't many cars in the parking lot, so I was a little disappointed that I wouldn't have the great camaraderie that is the hallmark of most Crossfit workouts. Fortunately, several more people showed up just in time for 3,2,1 Go! This was mostly the same group that I started my mentorship with as I was indoctrinated into the ways of Relentless Bootcamps, so it was full of friendly faces. I was very happy to see Neil show up, with his dual kettlebells, knowing he would help push me to do my best through the workout.
Doing a full warmup was great, Chelsea made a few tweaks to keep it interesting and use the muscles in different ways. CONSTANTLY VARIED!
The first WOD was one of the benchmarks, "All in Place", which I did with my first bootcamp class. Having Neil and the rest of the group there, I pushed through to a minute faster PR, 8:27! I was sweating like I was back in the Philippine Jungles, and we weren't even halfway through! HIGH INTENSITY!
As we continued through the workout, I looked around and saw that everybody was being challenged. I love that about Crossfit. Same workout with minor adjustments and everyone from the well conditioned to the deconditioned is challenged. Chelsea added some wall walks before we wrapped up the morning. FUNCTIONAL FITNESS?
As we did our Russian Swing tabata, Neil challenged me to not set the kettlebell down. Small point, but great challenge! Then Chelsea finished me off with a brutal Tabata of V ups. I clearly need a lot more work on that one.
Crossfit is always humbling in some manner, which just exposes more challenges to overcome. I am very excited about another year with my relentless mistress, Crossfit.

2 comments: