14 March 2012

Hunting paleo at the airport

Finding a ticket to Radiohead this week was an impossible task, at least for me. Only slightly easier is finding some decent vegetables to eat in the Austin airport. While waiting for my flight I asked a gate agent where I could find some decent vegetables. Meat is easy, there are a dozen satellites of the major barbecue joints and coffee shops here. The gate agent's suggestions were both popular local sandwich shop chains. Not wanting to dismiss her offhand, I checked out their salad selection, which I'd classify as wilted and skimpy. After a little more wandering I found a great selection of cooked veggies at the Chinese joint across from gate 7. There may be more msg in this than I'm accustomed to digesting, but sticking with the steamed vegetables and the imitation crab meat seemed relatively safe. The price wasn't too bad either. For $12 I got about 1.75 lbs of vegetables and meat with little sauce and no rice! I don't think I'll start hitting the Chinese buffet on Burnet regularly, but won't dismiss the Chinese joint at airports anymore. Especially ones with a veggie buffet!

No comments:

Post a Comment