Improving lives through fitness, obstacle races, and world exploration.
05 October 2012
Running with the blind
Many days as I ride my bicycle around central Austin, I pass the School for the Visually Impaired. I have thought that it would be good to reach out and find veterans that may be attending this school, then offer some fitness options to them. Since I've become more involved with Team RWB, this desire has strengthened, but I wasn't sure about how to get my foot in the door.
Last weekend, I met two guys from the school at a social run and decided that Tatiana, Henny, and I would help them negotiate the route. This was a night run and there were a few offroad portions. We walked, jogged, and even did a few short sprints together. At the end of the route, we promised to get in touch and bring them on another social run.
Yesterday, I was passing by and decided it was time that I just stop and walk in. Fortunately the secretary was nice and offered me a seat in the lounge area while a counselor came to talk. In the lounge was Craig, one of the guys from the social run, so we talked until the counselor came, exchanged numbers and I look forward to running with him and Dave again.
Unfortunately, this particular school doesn't treat veterans, so I am still searching for visually impaired vets that may want to get out for a run or Crossfit WOD.
If anyone knows any vets that want to get involved with Team RWB, please put them in contact with me. We have an active group here in Austin with bi-weekly runs and more events than anyone can possible participate in.
Team RWB - It's Our Turn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment