05 June 2012

Spartan Race

The Spartan Race was awesome! I was skeptical that some civilian obstacle course would be a challenge, but with four miles to run with the obstacles through the rocky hill country terrain, it was.
When we first arrived on site, one of our team forgot shoes, so that was our first lesson, double check to make sure you have all necessary equipment!
Coming through the registration area, I saw a mud covered guy with a familiar RWB Eagle logo on a t shirt that used to be white. The guy, Marcus, who I hadn't seen since SFQC,  had just finished the Hurricane Heat, a group event that runs the course backwards pre-dawn.

Before I started my heat at 1200, I watched the competitors' awards ceremony. That just fired me up! I set a goal to win the Spartan Sprint Texas next year. I led my heat out of the gate and stayed in that position the entire way. I started passing people from the heat in front of me after the second obstacle and was bogged down at several waiting for other people to finish.

 I really enjoyed the rope climb and thought of Bruce while I ascended the rope with knots tied in it.
 Jumping over the fire was a lot of fun and fortunately the photographer took some great pictures!
 
I was happy and mud covered as I took the final obstacle and beating before I made it through the finish line! I look forward to competing next year and training with others who want to experience the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment